You can edit videos for free using our Create video editor. Watch our 2-min tutorial video for a quick demonstration of how it works, or scroll down for step-by-step instructions to help you get started using Create's editing features:
For the best experience
Before you start using Create, we recommend you follow these steps to make sure your browser settings are optimal for the best editing experience.
Sign up or sign in to Create at this address:
Once you've signed in, you'll be on your Projects Page. From here you can start a project by clicking the Create a video button on the top left hand side of the screen.
Your new project will open.
Add videos to your project library
Before you can start editing your videos, you need to add the video files to your project's media library. To do this, either drag and drop the files into your project from your computer, or click the plus icon (+) Add Media button:
Then click Browse my files to choose a file from your computer: Or click the Gdrive or the Box icon, if you want to choose a file from your online storage.
To start editing, add videos to your timeline
Now drag and drop a video from your project library into the timeline at the bottom of the editor.
Once a video is in the timeline, you can start viewing and editing it.
You can add many videos to the timeline, move them around, and edit them. You can also add music and still image files.
Create's Editing Tools
Here's a list of the editing tools Create currently offers. For more detailed instructions, screenshots and tips for a particular tool, follow the links below.
- To trim a video clip, select it in the timeline (click on it so it is highlighted), then click and drag the edges back and forth.
- To split a video clip in two, select the clip in the timeline, then move the scrubber (the white line vertical with the circle on top) so it is positioned where you want to cut the clip, then click the scissor icon in the top left.
- To delete a video clip from the timeline, select the clip and then click the trash icon in the top left of the timeline (or hit the delete key on your keyboard).
- To play the videos in your timeline, move the scrubber (the white line with the circle on top) to where you want it to start playing from. Then click the play button at the base of the preview window on the right, or hit the space bar on your keyboard.
- To zoom in and out of the timeline, use the buttons in the top right hand corner of the timeline: (+ to zoom in, and – to zoom out). Alternatively, use the fit to screen button (–><–) to fit everything that's in the timeline to the visible area.
- To crop, rotate, slow down or speed up, change the volume or add filters, select the clip in the timeline (i.e. click it so it is highlighted) and use the options in the menu that appears in the top left:
- You can also add music or audio files and still images to your video. Simply drag and drop an audio or image file from your computer into the library area (or click Add Media > Browse my files). Once the file has loaded, drag it to the timeline, just like you would with a video file.
- To change the audio level of your music/audio file, add it in your timeline. Click the audio file, then an option will appear above. Click Audio, then drag the slider to change the volume. If that is an audio from your video file (e.g. mp4, mov etc.), just highlight it in the timeline, then the audio option should appear.
- To add a title (text) to your video, click Text in the left menu, then select your preferred motion titles from the sidebar and drag and drop or click the + icon the desired title into the timeline. Click on the title clip to edit it.
- To add a solid colour, or black or white, click graphics in the left menu, then on the sidebar select Backgrounds. Drag and drop the desired background into the timeline.
- To export your finished video, which will save it to your computer as an mp4 file, click the Export Video button in the top right hand corner of your project.
- To exit your project and start a new one, simply click on the "Back to videos" button in the menu extended when you click on the button "C"on top left of the screen. This will return you to your Projects page.
- You can reopen your project at any time by going to your Projects Page and clicking on its title or image (it should appear under the Your Projects heading).
Your project is automatically saved while you work so there is no need to save it before exiting.
However, it is IMPORTANT to keep your source video, image and audio files – i.e. the original files you added to your project. Or enable the cloud sync feature in that project.
Why? Because Create doesn't upload your videos anywhere, instead it processes them in Chrome locally on your computer. This unique technology makes it fast and private. However, from time to time you may be asked to relink your files – so don't delete the originals!
But Enabling Cloud Sync has several benefits, which include:
- No danger of losing your files / projects. If the original media files on your computer are lost, edited or deleted, you'll still be able to access and work with your project if you have Cloud Sync enabled.
- No relinking. When working with un-synced Clipchamp projects, you will sometimes be asked to relink your original media files from your computer, but with synced projects you never have to worry about relinking.
- Access your projects from any computer. Instead of having to manually move your media files and relink them on a new computer, you'll be able to log in to your Clipchamp account on any computer and keep editing straight away.