The Clipchamp API is a Cloud subscription service that provides easy-to-integrate webcam recording, video conversion, and Cloud uploading capabilities for websites and web applications. It converts user videos into highly compressed, streaming-friendly MP4 files (as well as other formats of your choice) and uploads them into a pre-selected Cloud storage service such as Amazon S3 or Microsoft Azure.
This article documents the steps to sign up to trialling the Clipchamp API free of charge.
Step 1: Determine if the Clipchamp API is right for you
The API bundles a number of video-related capabilities into a Cloud service that is unique on the market. This includes:
- Allowing users to make webcam recordings on your website (desktop and mobile), both in standard and high definition and without using Adobe Flash
- Converting (almost any) arbitrary user video files into highly compressed, streaming-friendly MP4 files that play back in virtually any environment, including all modern Web browsers and mobile devices
- Compressing both webcam recordings and other user-provided input videos prior to uploading, thus dramatically shortening the upload time
- Automatically uploading those videos from your website visitors' devices to your account with popular Cloud storage services such as Amazon S3, Microsoft Azure, YouTube, and others
This is just a short summary of what the Clipchamp API is capable of by making use of our patent-pending technology. There are a range of differentiators over other webcam recording or video transcoding services and file upload widgets, which we have summarised in this article.
Step 2: Pick a plan
Is the Clipchamp API what you are after? If so it is time to select one of our available plans. They are listed at https://clipchamp.com/pricing. All plans have a 14-day free trial period with no obligation to transition into a paid subscription afterwards. If you decide to move ahead with the API after the trial, you can choose between monthly payments or an annual subscription. The latter gives you 2 months free compared to the monthly payment option.
Our plans differ in terms of the usage quota and in terms of the feature set you get access to. Our fair and transparent pricing scheme makes sure that you always get the better of two metrics: the number of uploaded videos and the total number of minutes.
This ensures that our pricing works favourably for you in either of 2 common scenarios:
1) Your users send you many shorter videos (where the total number of videos metric is more favourable for you) or
2) Your users send you a few long videos each month (where the number of videos metric is the favourable one).
Here is an example:
Our "Elite" plan includes 3000 videos or 9000 minutes of video per month. This covers both of the following two scenarios (the relevant metric is printed in bold):
- 9000 videos with an average length of just 1 minute, which is equivalent to 9000 minutes of video
- 3000 videos with an average length of 5 minutes, which is the equivalent of 15,000 minutes of video
Besides the plan-specific quota, our API plans differ in some additional aspects as well.
The following explanations make it easier to pick the right plan for your usage scenario:
- Subdomains. All plans cover the productive use of the Clipchamp API on a website domain you specify (e.g., darkside.com). We will automatically also whitelist the www subdomain (i.e., www.darkside.com). On top of that, some plans give you a number of additional subdomains that you can specify (e.g., jointhe.darkside.com), all the way to optionally "wildcarding" all subdomains in our "Enterprise" plan, which lets you put the Clipchamp API onto any subdomain of the specified website domain.
- Resolution. Our entry-level plans are limited to user-generated videos in standard definition (SD), which gives you DVD-quality (up to 480p) vertical resolution and includes lower resolution files as well (e.g., 360p, 240p). Higher plans give you high definition (HD) resolution (720p, 1080p) or even unlimited resolution, including Ultra-HD (4K). Whenever your plan does not support the resolution of a user-provided input video, the Clipchamp API will automatically resize the video to the greatest resolution that is supported by your plan. Please note that we only put a cap on the vertical resolution in some plans. If your plan's maximum resolution is 480p and a user's input video is 1920x1080, you still get an output video having a resolution of 853x480 pixels.
- Formats and Codecs. All our plans allow you to produce output videos in MP4 format (H.264 & AAC). Higher-tiered plans of the Clipchamp API add other formats and codecs, such as WebM (VP8 & Vorbis), ASF (WMV & WMAV), FLV and animated GIF. For more information on the output video formats that are supported by the API, please take a look at this article.
- UI customisation. All plans offer ways to adapt the visual appearance of the Clipchamp API's user interface in the browser. You can change colours and labels, incorporate a company logo and also localise the entire user interface for a non-English speaking audience. Higher-up plans add the "custom button" feature that lets you use your own UI widgets to bring up the video recording and video file selection user interface. The Enterprise plan lets you remove all Clipchamp branding from our service.
We are happy to assist you with any other enquiries concerning our plans - feel free to contact us at any time.
Step 3: Sign up for the free trial
Once you have decided on the right plan for your usage scenario, you can sign up to a free 14-day trial. You won't need a credit card to sign up for the trial period.
Note that you can opt for a month-by-month payment or choose an annual payment, which gives you a 2 months discount every year:
After clicking the signup button underneath the plan you decided to go for, you will get prompted to select a username and password (or optionally use your Facebook or Google account to log in). You'll then be taken to our publisher portal where some additional information is required.
This includes accepting the Terms & Conditions and (optionally) enter your production website domain (e.g., foo.com). You can also leave the production website domain field blank for now, which will nevertheless let you start integrating the Clipchamp API into your website and let you test it locally (i.e., on localhost).
Click the "Show all settings" dropdown arrow to see all available options including entering a testing domain.
You can change any settings including entering a production website domain in the Clipchamp publisher portal at any time after signup and during the trial period.
Clicking the Finalize signup button will redirect you to our billing system, where you need to enter your contact details (no credit card at this stage!). This concludes the signup process:
Step 4: Integrate the Clipchamp API
After the signup is complete, you can start integrating the Clipchamp API in your website or web application. Please see this support article that walks you through the initial steps to get up and running within a few minutes or have a look at these video tutorials to help you get set up.
If you're using our WordPress plugin, follow the next step after signing up for the Clipchamp API as described in the WordPress plugin tutorial.
In addition, all available options and features of the API that you can use to customise its settings for your use case can be found here. Please note that some options are only available on the Elite and Enterprise plans.