Yes, Clipchamp's Convert/Record/Edit/Compress product includes a number of video editing options that are available for free.
Option 1) Editing an existing input video
To access the free video editing for a video file you already have on your computer, log into Clipchamp, then start a video compression/conversion.
Select your input video and as soon as it appears on the Settings page, click on "Edit Video" underneath the video preview image.
Video editing features to choose from are:
- video trimming
- rotating clockwise and counterclockwise
- flipping/mirroring horizontally and vertically
- adjusting of colour, brightness and saturation of videos
Sample screenshot showing how to crop a video:
Sample screenshot of the trim option.
After making the edits you're after, click Start and wait for Clipchamp to process the file. The resulting output video will have your edits included.
If you're using the cropping option - make sure to lock in the selected frame area by clicking on the check mark (see screenshot above) after you selected a segment of the video you want to crop to. Otherwise the cropped area will not get considered when the video is getting processed.
Option 2) Editing a Webcam Recording
The steps to make edits to a webcam recording are slightly different to editing video files you already have on your computer. First, record a webcam video by clicking on Make a Recording in the Clipchamp dashboard.
After the recording is done, you can either use the editing options in the recording interface
Or you can skip this step and have the full, unedited video get processed first, then save this original on the "Save & Share" screen and go back to the editing options afterwards by clicking on Edit your recording. This will take you to the video editor options in the recording interface again.
Make your editing selections, then click Done to have Clipchamp edit your webcam video. The sample screenshots below show a section of the trimming option and the interface of the cropping option.
Set a start point on the timeline to trim your video.
Select a frame of the original video to crop it. Make sure to click the check mark to lock in the cropped area.
After making all editing selections you like, click on Done to have your video processed.
As with other videos, the edited file will appear on the "Save & Share" screen after it's been processed.
If you're seeing an error while accessing the editing options
- make sure to use Clipchamp in the latest version of Google Chrome on a Windows, Linux or Mac desktop or laptop.
- empty your browser cache and reload Clipchamp (see https://help.clipchamp.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606507-What-to-do-if-Clipchamp-doesn-t-work-), then try again.
- make sure that your input video is in a format that can be edited. E.g. VOB files cannot. It can therefore help to convert your video to MP4 without editing it in a first processing step and then edit the MP4 file you received as the output file from the first processing step.